Last week I had some blood work done.
More than just some, I guess you could say. More like giving eight vials of blood.
It was suppose to be seven, but the nurse had a 'whoopsie' and removed the needle after six, stuck me in the other arm, messed up vial #7 and had to get #8.
I've seen more of LabCorp than I ever cared to.
The doctor ran a chromosome test and a thrombotic something or other test. I haven't seen the results yet and it's been another lesson in patience.
As is the case with every scenario I find myself in, I've done a lot of research over the past week.
It never once occurred to me seven years ago that our issue could start at the most basic level...the cell.
Suddenly words like phospholipid, cell membrane, endoplasmic reticulum, etc. are all floating in my head again and I'm desperately trying to visualize my styrofoam cell structure project I did in elementary school (or was it middle school?).
Turns out...these things are really crucial to the development of an embryo.
Duh.
But I mean like really, really important.
And I'm praying somewhere in that blood work something is glaringly, blatantly wrong.
Because if I have to follow up questions with more questions for very much longer I just might scream.
Or eat more ice cream.
I have a co-worker who likes to say to me "Gosh, Katie, you know more about baby making than anyone else!" Usually I want to reply back with an "Obviously I don't or I would have made one by now!"
But I know what she means.
Everyday I become more aware of just how miraculous it is to conceive.
When you really stop to consider all of the bajillion (yes, I meant baJillion) things that can go wrong, it's a wonder any of us are here at all.
P.S. In case you are interested, here's a look at what we'll be diving into/discussing with our doctor at our next appointment!

No comments:
Post a Comment