Some nights, deep in the shadows of my bedroom, I let bitterness in. It fills my soul and consumes my thoughts and it feels good. Why? Because I am ANGRY! Not at God, not at myself, not at the way our life has been turned upside down. Angry because it is still not "OUR TIME", angry because I log into facebook and find out another person who "SHOULDN'T" be pregnant is, angry because another day brings unanswered questions. I don't let myself feel this way very often. What would be the point? I'm not into self-pity. Somebody always has it worse. But occasionally, I find it healthy to get mad. Healthy to throw up a couple Why Me's? to God.
So why is tonight a bitterness night? Because both of my pregnant co-workers were working today. One is married and has already suffered through a miscarriage. (I know...HORRIBLE....that I am only happy for her because she has had to work at becoming pregnant). The other co-worker is a CNA, is unmarried and has an on again/off again relationship with her boyfriend. I'm bitter because this is the story a co-worker in my department relayed to me today. Said co-worker remembered seeing pregnant co-worker take smoke breaks prior to pregnancy, so said co-worker asked pregnant co-worker is she had quit. Pregnant co-worker told her she was down to four a day and how proud she was of that. SERIOUSLY???!!! If you are so selfish that you cannot even quit smoking for the sake of your unborn child for nine months then why did you get chosen to be a mother?
I log onto facebook tonight and see a friend from high school just announced at about 8 weeks that she is pregnant. Good for her for waiting till 8 weeks, that's longer than some people wait. But she just got married. She must have conceived on her wedding night. I would die to have that unexpected surprise.
Facebook is poison.
Paul and I spent the evening watching my two cousins (previously mentioned in another blog post). We got them dinner, took them to play on the playground at the elementary school in our neighborhood, fed them popsicles, watched some baseball and picked our first squash from the garden they helped me plant. And all the while, I knew it was KILLING us. It was breaking my heart to know that my husband is not a father yet, and I'm sure it broke his heart to know I am not a mother yet. We can play family with these boys for only so long. I took them to the grocery store with me and a pregnant woman looked at me with a look saying "Look at that mom and her two boys, she's so good with them, I can't wait to have my baby" And I wanted to rip her head off because she has NO IDEA.
I think an occasional night of bitterness is good for me. It makes me realize how BAD I want to be a good, loving and patient mom. It makes me appreciate what I have, because right before I go to sleep I will count my blessings. TWICE. I cannot go to sleep with a bitter heart. In the morning, I will put on my happy face, because I truly am happy. I am just not complete. And I will pray for courage to face all the happy pregnant women the day wants to throw at me. When the dawn rises it will be peace that fills my soul, bitterness is for the darkness.
Hi Katie.
ReplyDeleteI checked your site tonight because I knew that you had a doctor's appt. and I was thinking about you guys.
You know what???
You have every right to be angry! You are only human and you are right...infertility just plain SUCKS and is NOT FAIR!!! I know that I can never truly understand your pain, but please feel free to vent, cry, scream, etc. with me anytime you need to :). I am soooo sorry that you and Paul have to travel down this difficult road. Please let me know if there's anything that I can do to help. For now, I'm going to keep on praying for you guys!
Luv Ya',
Amy
I am sorry you have to face the bitterness at all.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have a good hold of it. I think that was the hardest part. Trying not to let the anger take over.
Good luck.
(here from the creme)
I like that button you have...keep calm and carry on.
ReplyDeleteA bout with bitterness sometimes does the body and mind good. You're right, it can help us keep perspective.
Now a follower from Creme de la Creme.
here from the creme! it is nearly impossible to deal with friends/family/acquaintances who are undeservingly pregnant. bitter to judge that they are undeserving, i know, but when you have gone through IF hell, alot of people who have kids easily seem undeserving. great reflections :)
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to hear that other people have these same thoughts and feelings and reactions. I am sorry that your wish to be a mother has not come true and hope that 2011 will bring both of us what we want most in the world. - From the Creme
ReplyDeleteHere from creme. I've been there, and still go there sometimes, despite my eventual success in ttc #1. It just means you're human. I hope that 2011 will bring you good fortune.
ReplyDeleteI had my daughter in June and I still feel this way sometimes. I still wonder why some women get to have babies without ever losing a pregnancy or waiting more than two months to get a BFP and others try for five years only to lose their daughter days after she was born. Why is that?! I just don't know. It makes me stomach turn though and some days I just have to feel that anger and get frustrated at the unfairness of it. I mean, I'm one of the lucky ones, my road to my daughter was a relatively easy one, but I still get so mad about the pain others face, I could still have to face. It's just not right.
ReplyDeleteI really loved this line in your post: In the morning, I will put on my happy face, because I truly am happy. I am just not complete. I don't think I realized, when I was trying, that I could be both - happy and incomplete. I wish I had known that. I'm glad you know that. I hope you are complete very soon, because I know how hard it is to go through life feeling a piece of you is missing, even though it was never been filled.
Creme de la Creme #125
Creme de la Creme 2010 Iron Clad Commenter Attempt
http://esperanzasays.wordpress.com/iron-clad-creme-de-la-creme-commenter/