Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Dear Diary,

As of right now, I have no idea who will end up reading this blog, if anyone. I may decide to start a new baby blog when the time comes. I'm writing now solely as my own coping mechanism. It's so much easier to type than write and I did want to keep a detailed diary.

This blog entry is dedicated to the next two weeks (approximately). I wanted to keep track of the days I took my shots and the details about the day. Instead of adding a new entry each day, I'll just keep adding to this post.

Tuesday, Feb. 16: Paul gave me the first set of shots. The Follistim pen takes forever to be administered and is quite painful. I bled quite a bit from that shot. The menopur also took awhile to go in. Overall, Paul did pretty well!

Wednesday, Feb. 17: The charge nurse on my unit at work, Doris Morris, gave me the shots today. She's been a God send these past few weeks and has reminded me on numerous occassions that it's time for my shot. I seem to require a bandaid for the Follistim shot. I'm beginning to feel some mild cramping, more like mild twinges. But luckily, no nauseau or headaches. I've also had some hot flashes, but I haven't decided if that's from running around and being busy at work or the drugs!

Thursday, Feb. 18: One of the CNAs at work, Heather, gave me the shots today. Doris wasn't around. Heather has given me the Lupron shot (the easy one), but had never even seen the pen mechanism the Follistim comes in. Nothing like being a guinea pig! I'm starting to dred the Menopur shot. I can actually feel the solution going in. I also noticed the Follistim injection sites seem to be bruising a bit.

Friday, Feb. 19: Doris gave me the shots again today. She's so good. Nothing new today. The 'twinges' are getting a little stronger. Grow eggs, grow! I'm feeling fortunate that I haven't experienced any side effects yet!

Saturday, Feb. 20: Well today was the first weekend day that Paul had to work. On an unrelated note...it was quite nice! It's the first weekend in our entire marriage where I've been able to sleep in and not be woken up when he comes home from work at 8 am. Also, it's the first weekend where I could crank some music and clean my house instead of tip toeing around and having to be quiet. But, this also presented an interesting dilemma. Our fertility specialist doesn't care what time I get my shots, but he does want them to be around the same time. Since I've been geting them at work, I've been getting them around 3-3:30. This is at the end of the 7-3 shift and the beginning of the 3-11 shift, so I'm sure to catch atleast one nurse I trust. 3:30 is also 2 hours before Paul gets home. Plus, we had plans to go to church tonight, which meant the earliest I would get my shots would be around 7:30. 4 hours after my usual time is definitely pushing it. Oh, it's also the weekend at work where my trusted staff have off. So dilemma...be late 4 hours or give myself the shots? I decided to suck it up and give myself the shots. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I had more of a difficult time positioning my hands just right and being able to keep the needle in while pinching my skin and injecting the drugs. But, I did a pretty good job and didn't make myself bleed too much! Not sure if giving myself a shot was on my bucket list, but atleast I can say I did it!

Sunday, Feb. 21: I did it again! Paul was at work again and so it needed to be done. That menopur does not get any easier. It's painful simply because it's such a large dose. Hopefully this all works out and these shots don't end up being for nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment