I ask you to not take it for granted. Whatever your it may be. Maybe it's your health, job, friends, family, children, or just life in general.
I've had a profound sense of gratitude filling up my soul recently. One that I'm thankful I can't shake. I hope I never lose this feeling. It helps lift me up when I start feeling down about the only thing in my life that's not gone the way I planned.
I've talked before about my co-worker who's husband was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in the fall. One day her husband has what he thinks is a cold from sitting out at a Friday night football game and the next day they're planning chemo appointments and meeting with a team of doctor's; their lives forever changed. I bet at the football game she wasn't thinking about their good health; just living her day to day life.
People get into a routine. A sense of normalcy. And then things get taken for granted, even when you don't realize it. Unfortunately it usually takes something bad to happen in order to pay attention to your good.
I try really hard not to complain. For the simple reason you never know who's got it worse. I usually only complain to my husband and sister, knowing they understand me and won't really judge me for my thoughts. But generic complaining, especially on such public spaces as facebook, tend to irk me. No matter what the complaint is about. Your job? Be thankful you have one, especially in this economy. Politics? Be thankful this is still a democracy and not a dictatorship. Your living situation? Be thankful there's a roof over your head. Your relationship? Be happy you're in one. Your child? Be thankful you have been given such a miracle.
Don't let yourself fall into a routine. Never ever take anything for granted. Life's too short.
A really great reminder. Thanks for giving it to me.
ReplyDeleteCheers to the great stuff. (and the not-so-great stuff too!)